ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – September 29, 2020 – In response to California US District Court Judge Lucy Koh’s order to extend the deadline of the 2020 Census self-response and non-response follow-up field operations, the U.S. Census Bureau recently extended these activities and set a deadline of October 5.
Due to the court challenges, the New Mexico Native Census Coalition and other organizations working on the Census suggest the following when communicating about the 2020 Census:
- Instead of stating a date when the 2020 Census ends, the message should be: “The 2020 Census ends soon.”
- There’s still time to complete the 2020 Census by phone at 844-330-2020 or online at my2020census.gov.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Census takers will continue to follow up in-person with homes across the country through October 5 in an effort to reach every household.
Other key information:
- The online response website will be open through midnight on October 5, 2020.
- The phone response lines will be open through October 5, 2020.
- Paper forms must be postmarked by October 5 to allow processing by October 12.
The Native Census Coalition will keep you posted as information becomes available.
# # #